Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Bible Gateway

Friday, January 6, 2012

What Do You See in the Mirror?


I have been struggling for a while with the issue of my weight. I have gained a significant amount of weight in the last two years. I started to jokingly refer to it as “happy fat” because I had finally settled down and was happy with my life. The joke is over now, though. I do need to lose a few pounds because I am not at a healthy weight, but I do not have to starve myself or look like I have anorexia to be pretty. It’s hard to have a healthy self-image when, every time you turn on the television, all you see is stick thin actresses and/or models.  I know plenty of naturally thin women but the point is that I shouldn’t struggle to look like them because everyone is built differently. Young girls need to have a positive attitude and a healthy self-image. Remind all the young girls in your life that they are beautiful no matter what size they are. 
Here is a picture of Marilyn Monroe, one of America’s most beautiful women. Notice the caption:

I found this photo on Facebook. It is not mine I just used it to prove a point.

3 comments:

  1. I struggle with weight...And I am trying to differentiate between 'healthy for me' and 'what tv says I should be.' I want to lose weight but I tend to keep very quiet about my attempts... Because I hate it when people tell me how much 'better' I look. I don't honestly care about that... I want to be healthy, not fit your image of what you think I should look like based on Victoria's Secret ads...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth

    Great post! I have struggled w/ my weight allmy life, too. A study documented that after 10 minutes of looking at a women's magazine, females became depressed. We have such absurd expectations imposed on us of what is "pretty!" Look in the mirror each day & say: "I am beautiful!" You are!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments. I wrote this post today because I noticed that when I watch a t.v. show or open a magazine, it seems that my mind amplifies all of my flaws. I am the heaviest I have ever been and am trying to lose some of that weight, but I have to remind myself that it isn't all about the weight. I am a good person and have an outstanding mind. I worry about how young girls, who aren't sure about themselves, feel when they see what society's standards of beauty are. You have both made excellent points, thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

Share on Facebook