Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Bible Gateway

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

THE 50 FRIDAYS MARRIAGE CHALLENGE

About a month ago I began to really pay attention to how my husband and I spent our evenings and weekends. I quickly realized that we spent very little quality time together. We get up at 5 a.m. every morning and start our day. I fix his breakfast and pack his lunch while he gets ready for work. Once he has eaten, it's time to head out the door. He is a hardwood flooring installer and he works extremely to create gorgeous floors for the clients he works with. Once he gets off work, he may have to drive two hours back to the shop to pick up our car and then an additional thirty minutes home. This means he is extremely tired when he comes home. I always try to have supper on the table when he comes in so that he can wash up, grab a plate, and relax. After he eats, he usually puts his ear-buds in and watches videos on youtube while I clean up the kitchen and then read either my Bible or whatever book I am in on my Kindle. There isn't a lot of conversation. While I understand that he is so tired from working such a physically demanding job five or six days a week, I also know that communication is one of the keys to having a strong marriage.
I began looking for things to help me get us to a place where, even if we are tired, we still talk with each other. That is where The 50 Fridays Marriage Challenge by Jeff and Lora Helton. The concept behind this book is to sit down once a week with your spouse and just talk. It doesn't matter what you talk about as long as you are talking and listening to each other. Think of it as a spin on date night, you get to spend time getting to know the person you are married to and sharing your life with.
I didn't tell my husband that this was something I read from a book, I just started sitting down with him on Saturdays (Saturdays work better for us than Fridays). Of course we haven't been doing it for 50 days yet, but the results after just four weeks are amazing. It has become something we both look forward to every week. No television, no cell phones, no computers; Just us talking to each other like we did when we were dating.
If you are noticing that there is a lack of communication in your marriage, I urge you to grab a copy of this book and try it for yourself. Life can sometimes become so hectic and busy that we just don't make the time to invest in our most important earthly relationship. Or, it may be that your routine has settled into a rut and you need to boost your relationship! Whatever the reason, you and your spouse can benefit from the advice in this wonderful book. The authors write in a way that makes it obvious that they have compassion for other married couples and want to help those couples flourish. You can purchase your copy from the link below. Please come back and let me know if this book works as well for you as it is working for us. Happy Reading!!


2 comments:

  1. What a great idea. You really nailed it I think. Great work, thanks for sharing this.
    Underrated Books

    ReplyDelete

Share on Facebook