Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Bible Gateway

Sunday, October 6, 2013

What is the Meaning of Sex? by Denny Burk

In today's society sex is every where. Cologne and perfume ads feature half naked men and women, commercials for household products have sexual innuendos (the Liquid Plumber commercial is a perfect example), even commercials for Hardees hamburgers use a model in a bathing suit acting as if eating that particular hamburger is a multi-orgasmic experience. Some gas stations have sections where Playboy magazines are displayed with nothing but a black piece of paper between that and a child's curious eyes. Don't even get me started on movies and television shows...even those that are supposed to be rated family friendly. Sex has been bent and twisted and perverted by society and it is absolutely every where!
In the Bible, the Song of Soloman is a love story. Yes, it does talk about sex, but it is in the context of a MARRIED couple blessed by God. The Bible gives specific instructions on sex between a man and his wife in 1 Corinthians 7:5.
"Defraud ye not one the other, except it be with consent for a time, that ye may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again, that Satan tempt you not for your incontinency." (KJV)
The NLT (New Living Translation says it this way:

Do not deprive each other of sexual relations, unless you both agree to refrain from sexual intimacy for a limited time so you can give yourselves more completely to prayer. Afterward, you should come together again so that Satan won’t be able to tempt you because of your lack of self-control.  (NLT)
It goes on to say that if a person can't control their sexual urges, it is better that they marry than for them to 'burn'.
 But I wish everyone were single, just as I am. Yet each person has a special gift from God, of one kind or another. So I say to those who aren’t married and to widows—it’s better to stay unmarried, just as I am. But if they can’t control themselves, they should go ahead and marry. It’s better to marry than to burn with lust.

These verses clearly tell us that sex was invented by God to be enjoyed between a man and his wife. Sex was meant to be a beautiful experience between two people who had pledged their entire lives to each other. It is not meant to be the perverted mess that the world has turned it into. A while back, I became absolutely disgusted with sex. Every single time I turned on the television or got on the computer or even opened a book, that was all there was. A new television series about a same sex couple raising children was the straw that broke the camel's back. I turned off the TV and refused to turn it back on. I was sick to death of the subject and the very idea of sex!
However, this feeling of disgust didn't stop with turning off the TV, it began to effect my intimacy with my husband. I was so disgusted that I had no interest in being intimate with him. God bless him, he had no idea what in the world was wrong with me. One evening he asked me if I was unhappy with him and of course I said NO! I love my husband and know that God blessed me abundantly with that man. Then he pointed out that we had had no intimate time for several days and that was when I realized how much my feelings had effected me. I began to pray for guidance and help in this area and started looking for Christian  books and Christian websites/blogs that addressed sex from a Biblical perspective. I was looking for medicine to soothe my soul.

That is how I came across this book by Denny Burk, What is the Meaning of Sex? Here is the book description from Netgalley.com;
Sex is a big deal. And as the spirit of the age moves rapidly away from traditional sexual norms, Christians are feeling the pressure to abandon their ancient beliefs to conform to society’s evolving views on sexuality and gender. Responding to the pressure with conviction and clarity, this book spells out the Bible’s teaching on sex, arguing that the ultimate goal of all human sexuality is the glory of God. After outlining key biblical standards and explaining the true purposes for sex (procreation, pleasure, love, etc.), the latter portion of the book explores controversial issues such as homosexuality, queer theory, and polygamy. Firmly rooted in the pages of Scripture, this book sets forth a compelling vision of human sexuality that is both soul-satisfying and God-glorifying. (NetGalley.com/2013)
 This book is based on scripture and upholds the traditional definition of sex inside marriage. Mr. Burk writes in a way that helps the reader to see, with clarity, what the Bible says about sex and marriage. He addresses the way that society has turned sex into a corrupt and sinful way of life and, while Mr. Burk doesn't accuse or condemn, he is very definite on hot topics of today, such as homosexuality. I could go on and on about what is discussed inside the pages of What is the Meaning of Sex?, but it would be better all around if you just picked yourself up a copy and , with prayer and your Bible close at hand, read the book and read the scriptures so YOU can see how God created sex to be a beautiful experience between a husband and wife.
This book will not be published until October 31st, 2013 but I am pretty sure it will be on amazon.com when it is published. The only problem I had with this book was that there were several grammatical errors like missing letters, almost as if the keys weren't functioning when it was typed. Hopefully, by the time it is published, those errors will have been fixed. 
This book did wonders for my feelings on sex and the intimacy between me and my husband is back on track. Seeing and understanding sex from a Biblical perspective is amazingly refreshing when one is tired of the nasty way it portrayed in society. I hope that you will pick up a copy of this book, even if you aren't experiencing any bad feelings. It is always good to remember that everything, including sex, was created by God to glorify God. My prayer for you is that you will commit yourself to keeping sex where it belongs...inside a marriage! Happy Reading!
 






 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Share on Facebook